Thursday, December 18, 2008

Oatmeal: Yes it is Good!


Lately I have been hooked on breakfast sandwiches made with egg, cheddar cheese and tomato on an english muffin, they are delicious but I have been looking for something else to add to my breakfast repetuare. I found what I was looking for in old school Quaker Oats. Now, as most of you may agree, oatmeal by itself is gross and reminds me of Oliver Twist and the phrase "Please Sir . . . I'd like some more" comes to mind right after I gag on bland mush. 

Linz and I have discovered that if you want to enjoy oatmeal you got to dress it up a little. Here are some of our recent creations. 

But first some standard operations:
Never Cook in Microwave--always on the stove top!
Put the oats in with the cold milk before you start heating. Doing this gives good texture with out the oatmeal getting to goopy. Also at this point it is standard procedure for me to add a few drops of vanilla extract. I feel this rounds out the flavor and their is also the added benefit of the pleasant aroma when cooking.

Banana Oats
After oats are done cooking add sliced bananas, slivered almonds, cranberries, and brown sugar. 

Apple Oats
Throw in diced apple with cold milk and oats
While heating add nutmeg and cranberries 
When done stir in brown sugar (not to much or you will drown out the apple) and garnish with a dash cinnamon. 

Give it a try and tell me what you think.

7 comments:

Kim said...

I like oatmeal too but don't make it too often. Sticks to your ribs!
I think I might try one of your creations!

*also good for your cholesterol.

zach harrison said...

Thank you Rachel Ray! I have one question though, when do I put in the E.V.O.O.?

noah! said...

repertoire.

i like adding boiling water to my oatmeal, letting it thicken, then covering it with an unhealthy amount of brown sugar, finishing it off with a handful of raisins. i'm oldschool.

Lauren said...

we are big breakfast sandwich fans as well. we probably make them at least 3 times a week. here are some tasty variations: try some egg sandwich with chicken-apple sausage or proscuitto instead of bacon and skip the cheese. we use a variation of bread as well. sourdough, some different wheats, english muffin...

hope you like it!

Joel said...

Are you guys doing Christmas at the Tylers this year? I promise I'll bring good gifts, vodka, and eggnog if you will wait until after the 21st to do it

scott J tyler said...

Shoot Joel, we already had it, you missed out though

PB+J=12 said...

A variation on the banana recipe... add the banana during the last few minutes of cooking and add a scoop of vanilla icecream (we were out of milk which makes it legal) and a sprinkle of cinnamon...voila!