Sunday, April 5, 2009

Levi's STFs are the Best

 I bought my first pair of Levi's 501 Shrink to Fit Jeans in the middle of December. And today I washed them for the first time. I am looking forward to seeing the results for my three months of toil. 

I think everybody should have a pair, so hear is how it works. 

STEP 1: Go to any department store and buy a pair of Levi's 501 Shrink to To Fit jeans. Size is important. They shrink in the legs so make sure the pair you purchase is at least 2 inches longer than normal. I like a cuff, so rather then my usual 31X32 I bought a 30X36. This measurement achieves several things: one, it gives me the cuff that I want (cause what's a pair of Levi's without a classic cuff?) and two, it keeps the pants slim through the hips and legs, which is key, you don't want saggy butt. Be sure to try on several pairs in the store, each pair is different. Save the tags and recites. If you don't like the way they shrink they will take them back. 

STEP 2: Put them on and jump in a tub of nice hot water. That's right it's the only way to get that custom fit. I sat and read for a solid half hour and enjoyed my book immensely.
When the half hour is up, drain the tub and just sit for another ten or fifteen minutes to let your jeans drip dry a little so that you don't end up with blue stains all over your carpet. I go commando simply because the feel of wet boxers is very uncomfortable and I think they dry faster if you don't ware them (the underwear that is). 

STEP 3: Once out of the tub do some deep knee bends to get some nice creases behind the knees and on the front. Then wear them till they dry. I did mine in the middle of December and was fine. It is really not as uncomfortable as you might think. Be sure to wear black socks and a dark colored shirt, otherwise the dye from the jeans will ruin them. Go for a walk or bike ride. The results are awesome and they only get better with age. They are the best jeans I have ever bought hands down. 

STEP 4: Wear them a while without washing them, you have got to let your sweat and oils work into the denim.  

Some Pluses of the Levi's 501 STF:
-You can not beat the button fly.
-The weight of the denim is thicker than the average jean on the market resulting in longer life. I think it is around 120z, compared to the 9oz most jeans are. 
-The fit is 100 percent custom tailored to you.
-The look is classic and timeless. 
-And finally, to be given the chance to journey through life with a single, one-of-a-kind pair of pants that you had your hand in creating.  

Enjoy. 

5 comments:

Kim said...

I never knew the part about sitting in the tub with them on and the whole drip dry process.

Step 2:TMI :-) but I guess in the arena of full disclosure then you have the topic covered.

noah! said...

i did it with zach last weekend, except we did it at the lake and let the sun dry them. worked like a charm! i'm going to try the bathtub next time. how fun!

zach harrison said...

Wearing mine right now! Haven't washed them yet and today I noticed that my body juices have softened the denim quite nicely. Noah and I made a discovery at the lake; rub your wet jeans with a good smooth yet porous rock, and you will achieve a nice fade in the denim. I'm doing shrink round two in the next few days and I'm pretty excited.

scott J tyler said...

I love the rock idea. I am envious of your discovery. I think I might try some light sand paper, but part of me feels like that is cheating. What do you guys think?

noah! said...

no way man, its not cheating. you're personalizing your pants! be careful if you do the rock thing when they're wet though, because they fade pops out more once they're dry. just don't go crazy, that's all i'm saying.