Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Jogging, I believe the j is silent though, right?


 











So as of late, I have endeavored on what many would consider an absurd pastime, running. It probably has something to do with the olympics this year, and also my need as a new father to establish a lasting habit that will usher me into manhood. My belief is that if I have the discipline to push myself though miles of trails and pavement than I will have the discipline to be a better father and a better husband. 

Further, I recently realized that at the tender age of 23 I am now entering the prime of my life--mature enough to think responsibly (or at least I hope), and young enough to demand massive amounts of energy from my body. I thought, why waste such an extraordinary period in my life? I've got old personal records from high school to shatter and bigger and better goals to achieve.

The last reason was an as assistant coaching position. A good friend of mine is the head coach of the Simpson University Cross-Country team. Knowing I ran on a championship team in high school (and were we champions! read the second paragraph in this wikipedia article) I was offered the job and took it. I never thought I would enjoy making runners puke so much. Watching people achieve their goals and push their body to the limits is one of the most exhilarating things I have ever been a part of. To be precise, it comes in a distant third behind the birth of my son and my wedding day.  

No comments: