Monday, November 24, 2008

Sweet 16 and I am Committed . . . we will see

I have been toying with the idea of doing the Redding Marathon. It is by no means a big marathon participant wise (only 107 people ran it last year), but the course looks great and the running community here is a fantastic bunch of people. The Sweat Running Club puts on great races and I would expect nothing less of the marathon. 

I tested the waters yesterday and ran 16 miles. I could not have made it if my good friend Ben didn't join me on the last 8 as he was a huge lift and a magnanimous encourager. I completed with fairly decent splits and only a 4 minute differential between my two sets of 8. My pace averaged  7:50 a mile. I would like to see that drop to a 7:30 which would put my finishing time for the marathon around 3 hours and 15 minutes.  I believe this to be an achievable goal but I would really be happy with anything under 3 hours and 30 minutes. I have not handed in my paper work for the race thus making me uncommitted at the moment . . . but we shall see. In all, great run. Being disciplined and testing the limits of my body has garnered minor, but significant transformations in my daily life. Having a baby makes you do crazy things. If Carter was not here I doubt I would be making such efforts. Speaking of Cater . . . 

Carter tells us about his day and explains to Linz and I why he has trouble sleeping though the night. In this photo Carter is in mid-lecture, "I gonna cry till you feed me. I got the stamina to do it and I think I proved that last night when I screamed for 60 minutes strait. You caved in the end as I suspected you would. You are weak and my lungs and desire for milk are strong. Frankly I don't care what What to Expect the First Year says I know what I want and I smart enough to get it. You see mom and dad, It is all in my master plan . . . And don't get so down, strength and perseverance are good qualities, you should be happy I got em."
Carter, the Christmas Baby, looks retrospectively at his sleep performance as of late before making the journey to the Kooy's house for some delicious ribs.
One more picture for you grandma GiGi!

7 comments:

Kim said...

I am not sure if I believe what you are saying about dear sweet Carter. He looks so innocent and happy in all the photos you posted. Are you sure it was him crying??? Maybe he just misses you :-)

noah! said...

a 3:15 marathon would be impressive. i was thrilled with my 4:30, then again, i am not a natural born runner.

scott J tyler said...

I am not going to lie to you Noah, 3:15 is super optimistic, and now that I have posted that as a goal . . . well I may be biting off more than I can chew. But aren't marathons just about completion? Who cares about the time really? 26 miles is a hell of a distance.

Did you happen to hear about that runner that did 50 marathons if 50 states in 50 days? Outrageous!!!

scott J tyler said...

PS: Noah, you are a natural born runner--Did not God gave you legs?

Anonymous said...

You have much more dedication than I do. You may have inspired a new year's resolution on my end...or just guilty feelings. You have a cute baby Mr. Tyler.

Joel said...

I could run a marathon in 3:15 but...

I choose not to run!

gigigotidea said...

Of course Carter actually said every word and he meant it too! I understand this language perfectly and have identified it as rare Carterish and linguistically related to Tylerease. Watch out as I'm sure there are more profound and meaningful lectures to follow (pronouncements made from a chair are to be taken most seriously).