Sunday, November 30, 2008

Weekend at Lake Almanor

Linz and I went down to Lake Almanor for Thanksgiving as the in-laws rented a house there for the weekend. It was great to be in the mountains on a holiday. Cold weather and a wood stove amp up the holiday spirit like few other things. I miss the cold and the smell of damp leaves on the ground--two things present in the mountains  but rarely found in Redding. Thanksgiving food has never really been my favorite food. I loath cranberry sauce and turkey is . . . well no matter how you dress it is kind of bland. My wife also makes this green bean casserole and I wish I could say how much I love it, but that would be a lie, a lie because I think it is, to put it politely, not so good. All her family loves it and it is a staple of the feast. I wish I did like it, honest!
Food aside, I like the way Linz family does Thanksgiving, everyone brings something to the meal and the feast is a group effort. Next year I will bring something to the meal and then the feast will be great for me too. 

To end on a good note, Mom Endeman makes these Alabama biscuits that are to die for. I had like six or seven smothered in butter and jam. 
Enjoy these pics from a great weekend




Oh yeah, Carter got Carsick on HW 36 and spewed bananas and carrots all over his little self. Apparently my driving blows chunks. 

5 comments:

zach harrison said...

In one of those pictures it looks like you were in the beginning stages of covering Carter Gene with pine needles.

David Nishizaki said...

My Grandpa invited "strangers" from Perko's. But one might argue if there are any strangers at perko's. I've heard it said, "when you're at Perko's, you're with Family" But seriously, I imagine they were quite overwhelmed. They didn't stick around too long after lunch.

pedronegro said...

Lake Almanor is pretty close to portola. Imagine that setting (only more mountians and minus the lake) that would be Portola. Glad to hear it was great. Carter is getting huge, bring him to visit before he starts High School, hope you and linz are doing well. We miss you man.

Kim said...

Linz is going to have to start scrapbooking now. Only a real scrapper would take a photo of their sweet baby after he threw up.

Glad you had a nice weekend. Oh, I like bean green casserole too. Ü

noah! said...

haha, somehow i missed this post. i love how carter is smiling in the picture with the puke all over him. genius!